Wondering what the women in your life are looking forward to receiving this year for Xmas? Are you trying to make it harder than it actually is? You might think that you suck at finding gifts for the lady that you love, but we’ve got every confidence in you. You just need a bit of help finding the right direction, and you’ll be well on the way to making this festive season one to remember. First let’s give you a few hints as to the presents that really won’t be appreciated, and then we’ll take it from there.
Not the Best Christmas Gifts for Her
Take our advice because we mean it when we say Christmas is not the time for chocolates, flowers, kitchen appliances, power tools, and you’d better be a bit more inventive than a gift voucher. There’s a lot at stake when it comes to Xmas gifts, so put in some effort and it’s bound to turn out alright.
So What do the Ladies Want for Christmas?
Beauty products – steer clear of makeup, but don’t turn away from a selection of bright nail polish colours. And there’s bath time products, hair products, hot stone therapy packs, body wash, shower gel, lip balm, comical hair brushes and manicure sets. And if you really fancy like pushing the boat out, you could send her away for a relaxing spa day, or tempt her with a complete makeover.
Something to wear – you could risk it for a biscuit if you think you know her size and buy her some exotic and sexy lingerie, but if you’re not sure on her measurements you’d be better off buying her a comfy jumper instead. Something chunky or soft, as long as it’s warm. Or some cute pom pom socks, or sensible slipper socks to keep her toes warm and toasty. Maybe she’d really appreciate some silky pyjamas, so she feels like a princess when you bring her breakfast in bed.
Fashion accessories – the most obvious that springs to mind is a stylish clutch or handbag. Cos all ladies love their handbags, right? Well nearly all of them anyway. Something understated, or outrageously over the top. Something she can clutch in her hand, or a bag that is big enough to take on holiday. And don’t forget the latest trend in fashion accessories – bag charms. Also included in this section are scarves, hats, gloves and maybe even shoes.
Jewellery – you’ll be her prince charming if you choose diamonds, because everybody knows they’re a girl’s best friend. But if that’s a little out of your price range you’ll still be spoilt for choice. Necklaces, bracelets, earrings and rings will all be appreciated by your favourite lady.
Homeware – glasses, but make them champagne flutes, because of course you’ve got to buy a bottle of champagne for Xmas breakfast. Dinner service, coasters, lamps, paintings, trinkets and ornaments of all shapes and sizes.
Eco-Friendly Christmas Gift Ideas for Her
There’s an exciting range of gifts if your ladies are environmentally conscious. In the UK everybody is being encouraged to reduce, reuse and recycle wherever possible. So why shouldn’t that include Christmas gift ideas for her? And just because they’re eco-friendly doesn’t mean they have to be pricey. Let’s take a look at a few ideas:
- Recycled notebooks and writing sets
- Bamboo desk tidy or knife set
- Recycled denim bag
- Light pendant made from a colander
- Antique glass baubles
- Bird feeder
- Lamps made from old bottles
And not forgetting the ultimate eco-friendly gift is one that you’ve made yourself from things you’ve found around the home.
Homemade Xmas Gift Ideas for Her
If you think you’d like to have a go at making your own Xmas gifts for her this year, why not go green? There’s some really nifty handmade gift ideas that will not only save you money but the planet as well. And you’ll be giving a really unique gift to the people who are important, which is never a bad thing.
Gifts made from old newspapers – yes you can really make some gorgeous gifts from the humble old newspaper. A woven newspaper basket – who wouldn’t be thrilled with that? A string of newspaper beads, or one made from old magazines if you want a bit of colour.
Repurpose an old jumper – and make it into a hat
Twig frame – far more eco-friendly than the usual fare of picture frames you can buy in the shops
These are just a few ideas to get the juices flowing. Use your imagination and get creative, or take a look online, as there are hundreds, if not thousands of homemade Christmas gifts you can make for her.
So we’ve hopefully given you a few more ideas, now let’s amaze you with some fun Christmas facts.
Fun Facts and Figures About Christmas and its Various Traditions
- Do you believe in Santa? Well in order for Santa to deliver all the presents worldwide on Christmas Eve he’d have to make deliveries at 822 houses every second, travelling at 650 miles a second, according to some US scientists. Well that’s that sweet myth debunked.
- In Victorian times mince pies contained beef and spices – guess there weren’t many vegetarians back then.
- The Bible makes no mention of 3 wise men in the telling of the Christmas story, so where did we get that one from?
- A Dutch custom of leaving shoes packed with food for St Nicholas’s donkeys lead to the tradition of hanging stockings.
- In 1950, in a Washington shopping mall, the largest Christmas tree was erected – standing 221 feet high.
- What are the chances of a white Christmas in England? One in ten, that’s all.
- The traditional Christmas meal in England, before turkey, was a pig’s head and mustard.
- Residents of Maine in the United States built the biggest snowman ever in 1999 – he stood 113 feet tall.
- In Britain, the best-selling Xmas single is Band Aid’s “Do they know it’s Christmas”, closely followed by Wham’s “Last Christmas”.
- One last fact for UK employers to take note of – in Italy, Greece, Germany and Spain workers get one month’s salary as a Christmas bonus by law!
Here’s hoping you all have a very merry Christmas, one and all.